Sean Neary/Meaghan Smith
Baucus Applauds Senate Confirmation of Marilyn Tavenner to Lead Medicare, Medicaid
Finance Committee Unanimously Approved Tavenner’s Nomination in April
WASHINGTON –Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) today applauded the Senate’s confirmation of Marilyn Tavenner to be administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) by a vote of 91-7. During a committee hearing to consider her nomination last month, Senator Baucus called on Tavenner to strengthen Medicare and Medicaid for the future, combat fraud to protect taxpayer dollars, and have the new health insurance marketplaces ready to launch this fall. The Finance Committee unanimously approved her nomination April 23.
“Marilyn Tavenner has spent her entire career providing care for people in need. Her experience in health care is real and varied, and it will serve her well as administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services,” Senator Baucus said. “This is a critical time to have someone with Ms. Tavenner’s extensive experience confirmed and in charge of Medicare and Medicaid. We need a confirmed administrator to properly implement the Affordable Care Act and make sure it works as intended. I’m confident she has what it takes to strengthen our health programs for future generations.”
Tavenner began her career in health care as a nurse in 1981, steadily rose through the private sector in hospital administration, and served the Commonwealth of Virginia as secretary of health and human resources for four years. She joined CMS in 2010 as principal deputy administrator – CMS’ second-ranking official – and oversaw policy development and implementation. Tavenner became acting administrator of CMS in 2011 and was re-nominated this year.
Next Article Previous Article
- 32 Bipartisan Senators Call on White House to Reverse Course on Digital Trade and Stand Up to China, Support American Workers and Human Rights
- Bipartisan Senate Finance and Foreign Relations Committee Members Call for Swift Passage of Taiwan Double-Tax Relief Legislation Released By House Ways And Means Committee
- Crapo, Wyden Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Boost Exports of Fruit, Vegetables, Nuts and Other Specialty Crops
- Finance Committee Republicans Press IRS on Data Security Shortcomings
- Crapo Statement at Hearing on How the Tax Code Affects High-Income Individuals