(Baucus) Sean Neary/Meaghan Smith 202-224-4515
(Reid) Adam Jentleson 202-224-2939
Reid, Baucus Introduce Bill to Avoid Default, Extend U.S. Borrowing Authority Through 2014
Washington, DC – Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) today introduced legislation that would avoid catastrophic default on the United States’ bills and suspend the debt limit until December 31, 2014.
“Republicans and Democrats may have our differences, but we should not hold the full faith and credit of the United States hostage while we resolve them,” said Majority Leader Reid. “Let’s reopen the government, let’s pay our bills and we’ll negotiate. Sen. Baucus and I introduced this bill today, which will allow the United States to pay its debts, with no preconditions or strings attached. I hope we can get Republican cooperation to move this bill quickly. If not, the process could take us dangerously close to economic chaos.”
“No one knows what tragic mistakes playing games with the debt limit could trigger,” said Chairman Baucus. “Defaulting and risking the U.S. dollar’s role as the world’s reserve currency and our place in the world economy is simply inexcusable. We need to strengthen our economy, not destroy it.”
Similar legislation was passed by the House by a vote of 285 to 144 and Senate by a vote of 64 to 34 in January 2013 to suspend the debt limit until May 19, 2013. Since May, the U.S. Treasury has been using extraordinary measures to prevent the United States from defaulting on our bills.
The legislation, S 1569, is attached.
Next Article Previous Article
- Crapo, Wyden, LaHood, Davis Call on HHS to Guarantee Timely and Transparent Approval for Evidence-Based Services That Help Prevent Foster Care Placements
- Crapo Statement at Hearing on Drug Shortages
- 32 Bipartisan Senators Call on White House to Reverse Course on Digital Trade and Stand Up to China, Support American Workers and Human Rights
- Bipartisan Senate Finance and Foreign Relations Committee Members Call for Swift Passage of Taiwan Double-Tax Relief Legislation Released By House Ways And Means Committee
- Crapo, Wyden Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Boost Exports of Fruit, Vegetables, Nuts and Other Specialty Crops