Sean Neary/Meaghan Smith
Baucus Statement on the Looming Sequester Cuts
To: Reporters and Editors
From: The Communications Office of Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.)
Re: Baucus Statement on the Looming Sequester Cuts
Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) released the following statement today regarding the looming sequester cuts and the need for Congress to work together to prevent the across-the-board cuts and lasting economic damage.
“The sequester is not the right way to take on the economic challenges facing our nation. We absolutely need to cut federal spending, but we should do so with a scalpel, not an ax. The sequester’s indiscriminate cuts pose a serious threat to our nation’s economic recovery, and every American will feel the effects. In the short term, we need a balanced approach that focuses on job creation. In the long term, we need a comprehensive bipartisan plan to bring down the deficit.
“This cycle of going from one fiscal crisis to the next is undermining our economy, and it needs to end. We need to put politics aside and work together to craft policies that provide some economic certainty to America’s families and businesses. That is the only way we can restore confidence in the economy and spark the economic growth our nation so desperately needs.”
Next Article Previous Article
- Finance Republicans: Innovation-Killing Government Price Control Mandates Must Not Become Law
- Record-High Inflation Greatest Threat to Economic Recovery
- Crapo Statement on Inflation Reaching Nearly 40-Year High
- Finance Republicans Demand Treasury Analysis of OECD Agreement
- Finance Republicans Raise Privacy Concerns with IRS Collaboration