Grassley Statement on the Bipartisan Health, Welfare Hurricane Katrina Relief Package
I’m pleased to join Senator Baucus in announcing a bipartisan health and welfare hurricanerelief package. We’re all moved by the stories of those who have lost everything. Suffering the mostare the most vulnerable citizens: low-income families, the infirm, the displaced, and the disabled.
We need to help these individuals in crisis. This package will give desperately needed relief. It offersimmediate health coverage for every individual in need. Many people fled their homes with only the shirts on their backs. We’re presenting simplified enrollment for health care coverage for these individuals. We have a process for families eligible for Medicaid to become permanently enrolled in Medicaid. We’re setting up continued access to care after disaster relief coverage ends for those ineligible for Medicaid. We agree that relief should follow the person. That means the federal government should reimburse states for the total amount spent on health care for hurricane victims. We’re helping those with private insurance pay the premiums on their policy. Many of the affected folks have private health insurance they might otherwise struggle to keep. Finally, we’re directing welfare funds and providing additional flexibility to states and families. We’ve built on welfare provisions that the House passed and I hope the Senate will approve soon. I hope for quick approval of today’s package. We have to prevent more hardship for those who have already suffered so much.
Next Article Previous Article
- Crapo, Wyden, LaHood, Davis Call on HHS to Guarantee Timely and Transparent Approval for Evidence-Based Services That Help Prevent Foster Care Placements
- Crapo Statement at Hearing on Drug Shortages
- 32 Bipartisan Senators Call on White House to Reverse Course on Digital Trade and Stand Up to China, Support American Workers and Human Rights
- Bipartisan Senate Finance and Foreign Relations Committee Members Call for Swift Passage of Taiwan Double-Tax Relief Legislation Released By House Ways And Means Committee
- Crapo, Wyden Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Boost Exports of Fruit, Vegetables, Nuts and Other Specialty Crops